It all started because Karla was at her breaking point. She didn't feel good. About herself. About her body. About her life. So a change had to be made. And with any goal one makes, Karla knew that she had to make herself more accountable in order to meet said goal.
Thus, Operation Skinny Bitch was born.
It started innocently enough. A Facebook status update along the lines of: Day One of diet, four hours in and I haven't gnawed off my arm yet. I think that's a good start. Right? And, do you know what happened? SOOO MANY 'Likes' and tons of comments, all cheering Karla on and congratulating her on making this change.
ON THE FIRST DAY.
It bolstered her so much that she started updating her status more and more with little things about her diet plan. Updates on how many miles she made it through with Norm the NordicTrack on her walks to nowhere. There were good times and bad. Who can forget her update one night: Disaster struck, peeps. On tonight's run to nowhere, I lost my balance and fell off the treadmill. But, it's okay. The elliptical broke my fall :( Suffice it to say, that was not a good night.
Again, the response was overwhelming and most of all, motivating. And, in that moment, Karla KNEW that she was not alone in this endeavor. So many friends (both in real life and the ones who live in her computer) were pulling for her to succeed. I won't lie. There have been some truly gruesome moments in these past months, but knowing Karla has that support system in place has helped tremendously.
Recently, I've been getting messages online from peeps following Operation Skinny Bitch. They tell me how this girl *points at self* has inspired them to get into a healthier them. And, you know what? That feels better than all the other encouraging notes I've received because that means Op Skinny Bitch hasn't just helped me. It's helping others. Woot!.
So, here is my Friday Five, friends. (thought I'd never get to it, huh?)
- Make healthier food choices. If you have a lot of weight to lose, you may have to get on a regimented meal plan like I did. But, if you don't want to do that or just have a couple pounds to lose, make better choices. Drink unsweetened tea instead of soda pop. Use Splenda in lieu of sugar. Choose grilled chicken over deep fried. Eat more proteins and veggies, less carbs.
- Get off the couch! I know we all have our favorite TV shows. But, you don't have to sprawl out on the couch to watch them. I have my Norm (the NordicTrack) set up in front of a TV. I get prime boobtube time every night, WHILE GETTING MY HEART PUMPING! It's a win-win situation.
- WATER. Drink it. At least 8 glasses a day, but try for 10. You will notice an immediate difference in how you look and feel. Take it from me. My skin fairly GLOWED after only two weeks of my diet plan, and I drink about 100 oz of water a day. Plus, my nails are freaking BEAUTIFUL. Again, WATER.
- Have your last meal of the day a minimum of THREE hours before you go to bed. I know. I know. We all like to snack while we're watching TV at night. But, going to bed on an over-full stomach does not help you. AT ALL. And, really if you think about it, odds are you're not even hungry when you snack at night. You just think you need to eat. Find yourself something to do with your hands while you're unwinding from the day. When I first started Op Skinny Bitch, I got out all my dusty old crocheting stuff and worked my fingers to the bone. Not only did I not snack at night, but I made several blankets and scarves for my friends.
- Lean on your friends. Having a hard time of it? Reach out. No one can help you thru the tough times if you keep it all in. They will definitely help pick you up and cheer you on, because they know you'd do the same. Believe me. You don't even want to know about the ledge I was on at on freaking point in Op Skinny Bitch. But quite a few peeps stepped in and told me to leave PityLand behind and rejoin the real world. And, I did. I'm not sure how long I would've been wandering in that desert if they hadn't of interceded.